What is domestic violence?
Many women experience violence from their husband or boyfriend. Sometimes violence is also acted out by other members of the family.
Violence can be:
- You are not taken seriously
- Your opinion and ideas don't count
- You are not allowed to decide anything
- Someone is doing something they know you don't want them to do
- They scare you
- People say bad things about you
- You are being threatened
- They tell lies about you
- You are not allowed to meet or talk to whomever you want
- You are not allowed to do everything your boyfriend does
- They check your mobile/ cell phone, email
- Threatening you or injuring you with a weapon
This violence often happens in your own apartment or house. That is why it is called "domestic violence".
There is a law that protects women from domestic violence.
The law is called the "Protection Against Violence Act".